A delicious easy apple crumble recipe handed down via my mum, lovely to make at the weekend for family and friends. Now who doesn’t like that. You can use gluten free flour for the crumble if you prefer such as almond flour or coconut flour. I like to have some different flours in the cupboard so I can always make something if I want.
For the crumble
- 300g plain flour (or coconut/almond flour), sieved pinch of salt
- 175g unrefined brown sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
- Knob of butter for greasing
For the filling
- 450g apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm in pieces
- 50g unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour, or coconut/almond flour
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
Butter a 24cm ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
Serve with thick cream or custard or your own favourite plant based topping.